Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bus or Bust?


We have taken the night bus from city to city many times. Some journeys are better than others. You always have to wear warm cloths. The second you enter the bus, you are required immediately to put on your long sleeve shirt (the bus is a freezer). The bus driver often plays really violent movies. I remember one time a movie called “The Punisher”. If you would like to see the review click on the link: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/punisher-war-zone. (If you do not want to follow the link, let’s just say that the menu selector is a skull.) The Punisher also had much cussing. I am appalled that they played that movie when four – year olds rode on that bus. To make things worse, the reflection of the movie was on the window, so I could not look out. At least the bus driver sometimes plays good movies. I was really happy when they played “Night at the Museum”.

I almost never get any sleep. The bus leaves at nine thirty to arrive at about six am. You can tilt your seat back, but it does not compare to a bed. One time my socks got uncomfortable, and after a while without them, my feet went numb. I figured out the idea of turning them inside out. Then I could finally fall asleep. My mom rode the bus another night without me because she had to pick up my grandparents. The police checked their passports three times! (They did not get much sleep).

The bus is two floors high. My dad is somewhat afraid of ridding on the top because he thinks he will feel like the bus will tip over any second. One time when we were going back to Merida, I got the experience of riding on the top floor. I personally could not tell the difference. My mom felt different, not because of the movement, but for the fact that more people ride upstairs than down stairs.

After getting back to the bus station, you feel tired and relieved to get off the bus.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Anson,

Sounds like a pretty miserable experience, but sounds like you have made the best out of it. Sounds like you have had some great trips around the country. We're jealous back here in the states. We can't wait to see you guys in just a few months.

a.e. said...

Anson-what an interesting post! I like how you turned your socks inside out--that was a great idea. I may try that one sometime.

We all look forward to hearing more of your stories when you return home!

with love-
Beth

Anson Tonelli said...

Actually I put my socks in side out all the time it is more comfortable

Aislin said...

I rode just such a bus in Turkey once. Except that in addition to all of the above, everyone was smoking!! It was really gross.